Gajar ka Halwa is a traditional Punjabi dessert that is easy to make and absolutely delicious. It has been popular in the region for centuries and is loved by everyone who tries it.
Gajar ka Halwa is a classic that can be made at home or in restaurants. This recipe includes the traditional way of making it Punjabi.
The word “Halwa” comes from the Arabic language and is a dessert made with a mixture of carrot, ghee, sugar, milk, and cardamom. The process of making this dessert is not very complicated and requires a lot of patience. In this blog, you can learn the Gajar ka Halwa recipe is the easy way.
Why is Punjabi style Gajar Ka Halwa most popular?
Gajar Ka Halwa is most popular all over the world because it is a rich, sweet, and buttery dish that contains saffron, which has a strong aroma.
It is also commonly served during festivals like Diwali and on special occasions like weddings. There are many reasons why Punjabi style Gajar Ka Halwa is most popular all over the world.
The most popular reason for its popularity can be attributed to its simplicity of ingredients, which make it very easy to make at home or even at restaurants.
One of the main reasons is, in Punjabi style Carrots are boiled in low flame with large amounts of milk. Due to this, its flavor increases a lot, and it has a sweet taste, which makes it very easy to consume. It also has ingredients like ghee and milk, which makes it more healthy and nutritious.
Another reason is that this dessert is made using seasonal vegetables, which can be easily found in Indian markets during different seasons of the year.
Do you make sugar-free Gajar Ka Halwa?
Yes, you can make sugar-free Gajar Ka Halwa. You need to use jaggery in place of sugar and avoid adding any more Ghee.
Also, sugar-free Gajar ka Halwa is possible if you use natural sugars like honey instead of refined sugar or you can use date syrup which has fewer calories than sugar. Sugar-free Halwa is a healthy alternative to traditional Halwa.
Sugar-free Gajar ka Halwa tastes just as good as the original version. It’s also low in calories, making it an ideal choice for people who are trying to lose weight or watch their sugar intake.
Do carrots help you lose belly fat?
Carrots are a very healthy food that can help you lose belly fat. They are rich in nutrients like vitamins A, C, and K which will keep your skin and hair healthy.
Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, which is a potent antioxidant that helps to prevent fat from being stored.
The combination of beta-carotene and fiber also helps to keep you feeling full for longer, so you will eat less overall and consume fewer calories.
Can you freeze Gajar ka Halwa or refrigerate after making it?
Yes, you can freeze Gajar ka Halwa. It is possible to freeze it without affecting the taste or texture of the dish. The only thing that might change is its color, which will become lighter and more whitish.
After making the Gajar ka Halwa, you can deeply freeze it in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
You can also refrigerate it after making it, but only if you plan on eating it within 1 day or so. If you want to make Gajar ka Halwa ahead of time, then freezing it is the best option because that will help maintain its texture and flavor.
Tips for Punjabi style Gajar Ka Halwa recipe
- Always try to use a deep base heavy bottom pan or wok for this dish. So that it is convenient to move during cooking.
- In this recipe, I use a 1:3 ratio of carrot to milk. You can use a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio of this. But I feel that for good texture and for the creamy taste you need to use more milk than carrots.
- Initially, you do not require stirring a lot as the milk quantity is quite a lot. If the amount of milk decreases, then it should be stirred more.
- For this dish try to use full cream milk and fresh carrots which give the best result for this Halwa.
- If you want, you can use the raisins in this recipe when you add the nuts. It’s elaborate, the flavor. Or you can completely ignore this.
Recommended Recipe: Masala Badam Milk
- Carrots 1 kg
- Milk 2.5 to 3 liters
- Sugar 2 cup as per your taste
- Cardamom powder 2 tsp
- Cashew nuts ¼ cup
- Sliced Almonds ¼ cup
- Sliced Pistachios ¼ cup
- Sliced Raisins sliced 2 tsp
- Firstly, you have to wash and peel the fresh carrots. Then grate finely.
- Now take a big wok and set it to medium heat, add milk and keep stirring continuously.
- When the milk comes to a boil, add the grated carrots.
- Now cook on medium flame. The milk should always be on a simmering boil. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Let the carrots cook in the milk until they are softened in texture and reduce and thicken the milk.
- When milk reduces completely add sugar and cardamom powder and give a good mix, again cooked for 20 minutes.
- Now in another pan add some ghee and sliced cashew nuts, almond, and pistachios. Roast everything together. Once they are roasted and turned aromatic, add them to the Halwa, stir well and cook for 10 minutes.
- When you see the separation of oil from the side of the Halwa this means your Halwa is ready.
- Now in the serving bowl put the super tasty Halwa.
- Garnish with some pistachios and raisins and serve.