Momo is one of the most popular foods nowadays. It is a portion of very simple and healthy food. The chicken momo is the perfect food for any time or in any weather. This food is available at roadside shops or restaurants but at home, you can make it very easily and with fewer ingredients which is very healthy. I am sharing simple and tasty momo recipes here, I hope you like them.
What is Momo:
Momo is a steamed food that is filled with spices inside and wrapped in flour. Most of the time it is made with chicken mince filling which is most likable for all.
This recipe is often passed down via generation. Momo is traditional delicacies in Bhutan, Nepal, Assam, and North Bengal.
It is the most popular in India. It is cooked in different ways in different places but this recipe is heavily influenced by Nepali cuisine. Momo can be found anywhere in Nepal.
How The Momo Name Came From:
It is the Nepali language. The Mo/mah/mome/maniu/ mame refers to steamed food. After some time, this steamed food is called Momo
Many say after princess Birkuti Devi marrying King Songsten Gampo, Momo got introduced to Tibet from Nepal. In Shanxi, The Jin Chinese say that the momo is unfilled buns That are made by steaming. Very quickly this momo name became popular in Tibet, and Nepal, Which refers to the filled bun. Usually, the momo name is created from Tibet’s “mog mog”.
Momo Varieties and Production:
Traditionally momo are steamed but nowadays it can also be pan-fried or deep-fried. In Tibet Momo is served with chili garlic sauce or pickled daikon but in Nepal and other countries, it’s served with tomato sauce or soy sauce which is called dipping sauce.
Nowadays momo is served mixed with soup. In this recipe sometimes the momo is cooked in broth and sometimes steamed momos are added to the soup.
Usually, momo is made with mincemeat filling and cover with white flour wrap, but now momo filling is changed and has become more elaborate. Now momo is filling prepared with different types of mince/ ground meat, vegetable, paneer cheese, shrimp, vegetable, meat mixed, and many more. In the modern era, momo has many types; I have highlighted some of the types here.
- Meat: Meat filled is the most popular filling for momo types. In Nepal chicken, pork, goat and buffalo meat are very common types of momo but chicken momo is made the most. The meat is made with a variety of spices, chopped onions, ginger, garlic, green chili, and a few more ingredients.
- Vegetable: In this momo filling is made with vegetable mince which could be cabbage, carrot, soy granules, potato, flat bean and many more finely chopped vegetables.
- Paneer cheese: This momo is made with fresh paneer, those who don’t like to eat meat make this cheese or paneer momo. This paneer momo is mostly made in India and Eastern Nepal.
- Shrimp: Those who like to eat shrimp make this momo.in this momo recipe also can use some fresh finely chopped seafood and some chopped vegetables can be added with it.
- Khoa: It is a completely different kind of momo, it is a sweet type of momo.This Momo is filled with milk, solids mixed with sugar which is a very popular dessert in india. It is made on various occasions in India.But now for its popularity it can also be found in other countries.
Health Benefits of Momo:
- Momo is usually cooked by steaming. It does not use any type of oil Because of this it has low cholesterol which is very healthy.
- Steam momo is much softer to eat and uses raw meat, which becomes very juicy after being steamed. For this it is convenient to be digested, which is why people of any age can eat it.
- You can fill it with ingredients of your choice. The momo filling is made with meat or vegetables that you like, because of this it is possible to increase the nutritional value of children who do not want to eat vegetables by feeding them vegetable Momo.
- Most momo is made with meat which is why we call momo a protein food and in this recipe does not use oil for which it can be called a source of good protein which gives energy to our body and enhances the ability to work.
Extra Tips For Chicken Momo Recipe:
1. If it gets stuck while rolling momo, then you can use rice powder. Dusting rice powder on a momo sheet makes it easier to roll and it’s not stuck to each other.
2. Most of the time Momo sticks to the steamer while steaming it. For this, you can use cabbage leaves on the steamer, which will protect the momo from getting stuck in the steamer
3. I have used raw minced meat in this recipe because it became very juicy after cooking. But you can also use cooked minced meat if you want. But in my opinion, it is better to eat raw mince.
4. In this recipe I use chicken Mince but if you are a vegetarian then you can use vegetables, cheese mince, or whatever you like.
5. It usually takes 8 to 10 minutes to cook the momo.The thinner the momo sheet, the less time it will take and If the sheet of Momo is thinner then it will give a better taste. So try to make a thin Momo’s sheet.
6. .It cannot be overcooked because if it’s overcooked it makes filling dry and harder and it also changes the color of the sheet. This is not good to eat and not to look good at all. So during cooking, you need to check it and you have to see if it is cooked properly or not.
7. You can store the momo in the refrigerator for 1 week and just steam them when you want to eat it but you have to make sure the storing container will have to be an airtight container, It keeps Momo fresh and tasty.
Recommended Recipe: Chicken Biryani
- All-purpose flour 1 cup.
- Room temperature water ½ or 1/3 cup
- Salt to taste ( ¼ teaspoons )
- Oil ½ teaspoons
- Boneless chicken mince 200 gm.
- Finely chopped garlic 1 tablespoon.
- Finely chopped ginger 2 teaspoons.
- Finely chopped green chili 2 tablespoons.
- Finely chopped onion 2 tablespoons.
- Fresh coriander chopped 3 tablespoons.
- Black peppers 1 teaspoon.
- Soy sauce 1 teaspoon.
- Hot oil 1 tablespoon.
- Salt to taste.
- First, take a mixing bowl and add chicken mince, garlic, ginger, onion, green chili, fresh coriander, soy sauce, hot oil, and salt. Mix them very well and keep them aside.
- Take another bowl, add all-purpose flour, and salt. Now you have to mix water little by little and make a smooth dough.
- On top of the dough rub oil and cover it with a towel or raping paper and give it rest for 30 minutes.
- When it's done with rest then give a good mix and cut them into small pieces and roll it like a ball, Use a rolling pin and roll out into a very thin sheet. Use a round cutter and make perfect circles to cut off the dough.
- Take 1 piece of dough and put 1 tablespoon of chicken mix. Place the thumb in the center then fold and pinch, make pleats, after finishing pleating give a twist, pinch, and seal. Or you can give momo shape as per your choice.
- Preheated bamboo or steel steamer. In the steamer, you need to brush a little oil so that the momo does not get stuck. Now steam and cook in medium flame the momos for 8 to 10 minutes. The chicken momo is ready.
- Served it hot and with momo sauce and enjoy it.