Aloo chop is popular Bangladeshi street food, made from potatoes and flavored with various spices. The crunchy and tasty Aloo chop, when served hot, goes very well with chutney, pickles or other accompaniments.
Aloo chop is a traditional Bengali vegetable dish that is one of Bangladesh’s most popular and favorite dishes. It has traditionally prepared the Aloo chop using cows or buffalo meat to be boiled and chopped. Nowadays, people prefer to use Aloo (potato) as they consider it healthier.
If you looking for the best Bangladeshi aloo chop recipe. You’ve come to the right place. Here we show you some nifty tricks on how to cook an aloo chop and make it taste delicious.
Is it necessary to peel the potatoes before cooking them?
The answer to this question is yes. There are several benefits of peeling potatoes before cooking them.
When you peel potatoes, it is easy to get rid of the dark green skin. However, some people prefer not to peel their potatoes because they say that it makes them tenderers and removes any undesirable chemicals on the surface of the potato.
In general, if you want your potatoes to be softer and sweeter, then yes, peeling them before cooking is necessary.
Benefits of making Bangladeshi Aloo Chop
Aloo chop can make from any kind of potato available. This dish tastes good when it is served with a side of steamed rice and raita (a yogurt-based dip). It is inexpensive to make since it only requires vegetables and spices.
Aloo chop makes for a healthy meal since it contains many vitamins, minerals, fiber, potassium and magnesium. Aloo chop can be served hot or cold, depending on how you prefer your dishes to taste.
Can I use Garam masala and turmeric in this dish?
The answer to this question is yes. It enhances the taste of this Aloo chop recipe.
Garam masala and turmeric is a mix of spices that can add flavor to various dishes. It is commonly used in Bangladesh cuisine, especially meat curries and vegetable dishes.
Garam masala contains ground spices like cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper and mace, which provides the characteristic “warm” taste.
How to mash Aloo for making Chop?
Boil the potatoes in water until they are soft. Drain the water from the potatoes and allow them to cool down. In a large bowl for mashing all Aloos. You can use your hand. Make sure all Aloos become mashed perfectly.
Way to make more delicious
1. Be sure to use fried onions in this recipe. When raw onions are used, onion juice comes out and spoils Aloo chop’s taste.
2. You can use chat masala in this dish, which can enhance the taste. If you don’t have this, then defiantly use Garam masala for better taste.
3. When the paste is made with lentils, it is tasted very crunchy and if you mix rice powder with it makes it crispier to eat.
4. The right amount of baking powder is used in this dish. Because if you give less than it doesn’t want it to bloom, and if you give more, it becomes hollow. So baking powder should use in the right amount.
For Inner layer:
- Medium size 4 boiled potato
- Fresh chopped coriander 3 tbsp.
- Red chili flakes 1 tsp.
- Fried onion ½ cup
- Fresh chopped 2 green chilies
- Garam masala 1 tsp.
- Roasted cumin powder 1tsp.
- Mustard oil 1 tbsp.
- Corn starch 2 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
For Out layer:
- Gram flour 1.5 cup
- Rice flour, 3 tbsp.
- Red chili powder, 1 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp.
- Baking powder ½ tsp.
- Ginger and garlic paste 1 taste (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Hot oil, 1 tbsp.
- Water as much needed.
- Take boiled potatoes in a bowl, mash them and make an excellent fine paste.
- Then take it in a mixing bowl and add fried onion, green chili, fresh coriander, red chili flakes, Garam masala, roasted cumin, salt, mustard oil and corn starch. Mix them very well.
- Make them in Kabab shape using your palm and keep them aside.
- Now, take a separate bowl and mix in gram flour, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, rice flour and water until it comes to a loose paste consistency.
- Then mix ginger paste, garlic paste, baking soda and hot oil into the gram flour paste and mix it for 3 to 5 minutes. (The more you spread the paste, the more it will swell during frying)
- Now, in a pan, add oil to deep-fry on a medium flame. And heat the oil for 2 minutes, then coat the potatoes Kabab in this mixture and fry them until they become golden brown with each side.
- Ready to enjoy and serve it hot for the best taste.