Bangladeshi chicken biryani recipe is one of the most popular dishes for Bangladeshi people but now Its popularity gradually increased in all countries. This dish is made first of all on different occasions. Without biryani, no festival can be thought of in Bangladesh.
Without biryani, no festival can be thought of in Bangladesh, the wedding or is at a religious festival or a small party there must be biryani. Different types of biryanis are also made in Bangladesh but chicken biryani can be made very easily and it takes less time so everyone likes it more.
Chicken biryani is a very flavorful, delicious rice dish, which is made with a lot of spices, chicken, fried onion, ginger, yogurt, and many more ingredients. So, I’m here to share a very simple and popular Bangladeshi biryani recipe. I hope you will love this recipe.
What is Chicken Biryani?
Chicken Biryani is a layer of chicken and rice that includes spices and aromatic ingredients that are steamed together in very low flame.
In biryani the first layer of rice,2nd layer is pre-cooked marinated chicken, then again layer with rice and fried onion, some aromatic water, saffron, and milk, then cooked in a low flame. when this food is eaten, there you see chicken and fragrant rice with yogurt and spices, which will give you an incomparable taste and for that you will want to eat this dish again and again.
Biryani is now made in almost all countries. But there is a lot of controversies about which country or where this cooking was first made. According to many, it was made first in Persia Then it got to India. Then many kinds of spices were added to it and it became known as Indian food.
At that time different types of biryani cooking were born; Especially Hyderabad biryani became more popular which is more influenced by Muslims later in this recipe. It has also been prevalent in Bangladesh for a long time. By changing different spices and cooking styles, it has now gained a reputation as the favorite food for Bangladesh people.
Why this is the best chicken biryani in Bangladeshi?
The spice I use in this recipe is very easily available and the amount of the spices is perfect for this recipe. cinnamon sticks, cloves, fresh bay leaf, and star anise which I used. It gives a very good flavor to the biryani.
In this biryani, I use ginger and garlic paste which enhances the taste and benefits of this dish. I didn’t use any packet of spices in this biriyani recipe, I used all the homemade spices which made this biryani taste very good.
In this dish, I used yogurt and lemon during the chicken marinade, which made the chicken very soft and made it juicy, which made this biriyani more tasty and delicious.
To add extra flavor to the biryani I have some fragrant water and I used the saffron for color Which gives this biryani a restaurant-like taste and aroma. Fried onions have been used in this recipe. For this, the onion adds some sweet flavor and aroma to this recipe.
What is Pulao?
Pulao is also a kind of fragrant rice dish That is also eaten instead of biryani. The number of spices in this dish is much less than in biryani. It is usually cooked slowly with fragrant rice in water like bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, ghee, and salt. No chicken, meat, or vegetables are added to it. It usually looks white but the colors and spices of this recipe are different in different countries.
Pulao is eaten with various curries, It is eaten more with meat or chicken curries. Pulao is also a popular dish like biryani. Even though it is not as spicy as biryani, it tops the list of people’s favorite foods.
Way to make biryani much tastier
Biryani is spicy food. It is made with many kinds of spices and chicken, meat or vegetables. For this, you don’t have to eat any other curry separately. But it goes much better with the salad, Cucumber salad, tomato salad, and mixed salad go well with it which adds a crunch and freshness to the biryani. Many people eat raw onion and fresh green chili with it.
Raita is also gone much better because it is made from yogurt, mint, cilantro, and a pinch of salt. It enhances the taste of biryani. In Bangladesh, they eat Borhani with biryani. Borhani is a thick drink, which is made with yogurt and mint leaves, lemon, sugar, and some spices. You can add food of your choice with it and can enjoy the biryani.
The secret of the Bangladeshi chicken biryani recipe
I use pulao rice in this recipe. You can use basmati rice in it if you want. If you use basmati rice, it should be soaked for 30 minutes. Many people make biryani with basmati rice, this rice makes the biryani taste better. However, pulao rice is used more in Bangladesh.
Before using basmati or pulao rice you have to wash it well and keep it soaked before using it in cooking and you must soak rice for some minutes Because if rice is soaked, biryani is neat.
If you do not have lemons, you can use vinegar. Vinegar works like a lemon. But you have to use one of these two. It makes Biryani taste better. But even if you don’t get one of the two, you have to use sour yogurt instead of plain yogurt.
Milk should be used in biryani because using milk in this recipe the biryani becomes softer and the chicken is juicy.
When making biryani, you must grease the pan properly with ghee or butter. Otherwise, when preparing biryani, the biriyani can get stuck in the pan and May burn down.6. Fried onions should be used in biryani because it adds extra flavor to the dish. Moreover, it gives a sweet flavor to the biryani and enhances the taste of the recipe many times over.
For Biryani masala:
- Black pepper 6 to 7 pieces
- Cinnamon stick 3 medium piece
- Cardamom 4 to 5 pieces
- Black cardamom 2 pieces
- Nutmeg 1 piece
- Mace 3 piece
- Bay leaf 2 piece
- Star anise 1
(Blend all the spices together and make a biryani masala powder)
For Marinating Chicken:
- Chicken 1 kg
- Salt to taste
- Ginger paste 2 tablespoons
- Garlic paste 2 tablespoons
- Cumin pastes 1 tablespoon
- Coriander powder 1 tablespoons
- Red chilli powder 1 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder 1 tablespoons
- Plain yogurt ½ cup
- Lemon juice 1 tablespoons
- Green chilli pastes 1 teaspoon
- Fried onions ½ cup
- Homemade biryani masala 2 Tablespoons
- Pulao rice 1 kg
- 4/5 cup water
- Ghee 1 tablespoons
- Cumin 1 teaspoons
- Cinnamon 1 medium piece
- Cloves 3 to 4 pieces
- Cardamom 3 pieces
- 1 Bay leaf pieces
- Salt to taste
- Ghee 2 tablespoons
- Rose water 1 teaspoons
- Kewra water 1 teaspoons
- ½ cup hot milk
- saffron water 1 teaspoons
- Fried onion
- First, take a bowl and pour pulao rice then rinse 2 to 3 times until excess starch is washed off. Drain the starchy water then soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Now take another bowl to add chicken, yogurt, garlic paste, ginger paste, green chili paste, cumin pastes, coriander powder, red chili powder, Turmeric powder, Lemon juice, cinnamon powder, cardamom powder, Fried onions, biryani masala, salt to test mix it well and marinate for at least 20 to 30minutes. It is better if it is marinated for 3 to 4 hours.
- Heat a big deep pan on medium flame and boil 4 liters of water. Add ghee, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf, salt, mix them very well and cook for 2 minutes, add soaked rice and cook it until the rice is 80% cooked.
- After the rice is cooked 80% then with the help of a strainer, The rice has to be sifted on another plate. keep it aside.
- Then in a set pan on medium flame and add 2 tablespoons ghee, when the ghee is melted then add the marinated chicken, cook the chicken until the oil comes out of the spice and the chicken is 90% done. Then put the chicken on another plate.
- Now you have to layer the cooked rice and chicken, rose water, saffron, and kewra water in a pot and with hot milk and fried onion on top, cook for 15 minutes on the lowest heat. Now the Biryani is ready. Mix the Biryani before serving and enjoy…